The Ossipee Region
Ossipee is a small community with lots of big natural attractions, like Ossipee Lake and the Ossipee Mountains. The ten peaks in the Ossipee Mountain Range, which is northeast of Lake Winnipesaukee, are the remains of an ancient volcano. Hiking and biking trails are plentiful. Hikers looking for great views should check out Bayle Mountain. With an elevation of 1,853 feet, the mountain’s rocky peak features an almost-360 degree view, including great views of Ossipee Lake and Mount Washington. The summit is about a 20-minute hike.
The Ossipee Conservation Trail and the Conservation Boardwalk offers fun for all ages, as does the town’s swimming beach at Duncan Lake. There’s lots of boating, fishing, and swimming in town. The Ossipee Pine Barrens provides a habitat for a diversity of unique and rare plants and animals. The preserve also safeguards and recharges the largest stratified-drift aquifer in the state. The pine barren properties are open to the public.
The Madison Boulder Natural Area in neighboring Madison features a huge granite rock measuring 83 feet in length, 23 feet in height, and 37 feet in width. It weighs upwards of 5,000 tons. This boulder is the largest known erratic in New England and among the largest in the world! Be sure to check out the Whittier Bridge (1870) and Durgin Bridge (1869), wonderful examples of the New Hampshire historic covered bridges built in a bygone era.
In neighboring Tamworth is White Lake State Park, which offers swimming, hiking, non-motorized boating, camping, picnicking, fishing and winter sports. Tamworth also is home to the White Lake Speedway, which offers many family-friendly activities like Go-Kart Racing, Lazer Tag, and 18-hole Mini Golf.
On a 200-year-old Tamworth is the Remick Country Doctor Museum and Farm, which offers a glimpse into the past and highlights ways people can learn from history, agriculturally and domestically. It is the only country doctor museum in New England. It’s open year-round with tours, workshops, hearthside dinners, educational programming, and field trips.
The Purity Spring Resort is located in East Madison, and since 1939 has established a tradition of family enjoyment of their pristine lake and longest running ski camp in the country. The Hoyt family has owned Purity Spring since the late 1800’s and today offers a camp for boys, an RV resort, wildlife sanctuary and King Pine Ski Area. www.purityspring.com
Get back to nature with all the outdoors has to offer. Outdoor enthusiasts love the camping and RVing options you can find in the Ossipee Region. Check out Westward Shores Cottages and RV Resort, Terrace Pines, Bluffs at Danforth Bay, Danforth Bay, Chocorua Camping Village KOA and Tamworth Camping Area. Nothing ends a full day of outdoor adventures like relaxing by a campfire.
A castle in New Hampshire? Visit the famous Castle in the Clouds and experience the Locknow Estate. Tour the castle, dine overlooking the majestic views of Lake Winnipesaukee, hike, fish, or horseback…it will be an unforgettable and delightful day. www.castleintheclouds.org Find out more about their groomed trails for snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and snowmobile trails.
Check out the local, fresh farm goods at Farm to Table Market in West Ossipee. They have freshly made entrees, soups, sandwiches, and baked foods from ingredients from over 25 local farms or producers. Or visit the award-winning Yankee Smokehouse for some delicious smoked BBQ, pizza and so much more.
For more, visit:
– The town’s Conservation Commission site at www.ossipee.org/conservation-commission.
– The Ossipee Pine Barrens page at www.ossipeelake.org/lake/special-places/ossipee-pine-barrens.
– Ossipee Mountain hikes at www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/nhossipee10.php.
– The Madison Boulder Natural Area at www.nhstateparks.org/visit/state-parks/madison-boulder-natural-area.aspx.
– White Lake Speedway at www.whitelakespeedway.com
– The Remick Museum at www.remickmuseum.org.
– Castle In The Clouds at www.castleintheclouds.org
– Farm to Table Market at www.farmtotablemarketnh.com
– Yankee Smokehouse & Wild Hog Pizzeria at www.yankeesmokehouse.com
– Bluffs At Danforth Bay at http://www.nhrvresort.com/
– Danforth Bay at www.danforthbay.com
– Tamworth Camping Area at www.tamworthcamping.com
– Terrace Pines Campground at www.terracepines.com
– Westward Shores Campground at www.westwardshores.com
– Chocorua Camping Village KOA at https://www.chocoruacamping.com/