Historic Walks - Belmont Village Tour

Belmont Village Tour

Click on Map for a Larger Version. All links on this page will take you off our site and to the Belmont Historical Society’s website. Click Here for a printer friendly version of this tour. Belmont Village Tour

1. Town Hall was constructed around 1895 by Edwin H. Bryant. The building was used for stores on the ground floor an as a hall or opera house on the second floor. Past Site | Present Site

2. The Library was constructed in 1927 as a gift to the town by George & Walter Duffy principal owners of the Belmont Hosiery Co. The library was officially dedicated on February 8, 1928. Past Site | Present Site

3. A Watering Trough was originally located near the corner of Mill & Main Streets near the old “Hose House”‘, it was relocated further up Main Street when the library was constructed and moved to the present site to the right of the library in 1988. Past Site | Present Site

4. The Bandstand was constructed in the 1908’s from funds gathered by subscription. It originally stood closer to the library. Past Site | Present Site

5. The Mill was originally constructed as a cotton mill in 1833, it was the Town’s primary economic entity for a century and a half. It was originally a cotton and woolen weaving mill then converted to knitting in the 1860’s. In 1998 when the structure was on the verge of being torn down it was saved by funds through a Community Development Block Grant, and citizen volunteer efforts. Past Site | Present Site

6. Mill Houses were constructed by the Mill Company when owned by Amos A. Lawrence. These rows of houses were for the use of the mill workers to rent as housing. Past Site | Present Site

7. South Road School was originally a country schoolhouse located to the west of the South Road Cemetery. The school was moved to its present location in 1888 due to the consolidation of outlying schools with the village schools. It was later used for Catholic church Services & eventually converted to a dwelling. Past Site| Present Site

8. The Badger House was probably constructed as part of the Joseph Badger Jr. homestead on Gilmanton Road. It is said to have moved aside when Governor William Badger built the main house in 1818. It was placed on this site in 1846 & later converted to a two family dwelling. Past Site | School Street Site | Present Site

Gale_school_photos_0239. The Gale School was built in 1894 with funds donated by Napoleon B. Gale. It served as the village school until the 1950’s when the Memorial School was built and then used for educational support services until the mid 1980’s. Past Site | Present Site

10. Dearborn Homestead. This home dates from the 1800’s. Owned in 1835 by the first known Doctor in the Upper Parish of Gilmanton (now Belmont). Dr. Joseph and Sally Gould moved here in 1830, and left the area by 1850. The property was later owned by Brock and Etta Belle Dearborn. Etta became librarian and held the position for 20 years. In 1951, Harold and Isabella Reed purchased the property. Harold was the Road Agent for 26 years from 1957 to 1983. Past Site | Present Site

11. Advent Christian Church.Organized in 1899 as the Advent Christian Church. Constructed in 1900, and dedicated the same year. Prior to the construction members met in Hall’s store for a short period of time. In 1904, Reverend David Jack was called to the church, and on May 20, 1951, the name of the church was changed to Belmont Full Gospel Assembly. Today this building is owned by the Town of Belmont, and is called the Corner Meeting House. Currently its used for town purposes and community organizations as a meeting spot. Past Site | Present Site

12. Fuller House was one of the earlier dwellings in the village probably dating from the 1830’s. Past Site | Present Site

13. The Hose House was moved from the present location of the library in 1927. The ground floor housed the “hose house” (a hand pump which was dragged by firemen to a fire.) The upper floor housed a combination of library & selectmen’s office. The building was eventually torn down in 2002, and is now a municipal parking lot. Past Site | Fuller Street Location | Present Site

14. The Canal is very likely the remains of the canal which supplied water power to the cotton mill. At the present village store was located a small pond which held back the water of the brook as well as water directed from the mill dam. The water flowed across the street to the mill where it powered a large over shot wheel located on the river bank. Past Site | Present Site

15. Typical Original Village Houses of the 1830’s. Past Site | Present Site

16. St. Joseph’s Church this site has had many uses over the years. The first village store was constructed near the corner in the 1820’s. The site was later occupied by a building constructed in 1874 which housed a store & post office on the ground floor, apartments on the second floor & a hall on the top floor. Near where the present church stands was located the church usually referred to as the South Church, built in 1840 & later replaced by a newer structure in 1868 after the original burned. The first St. Joseph’s Church was constructed in 1907. Past Site | Present Site

17. Veterans Monument is a monument honoring Belmont War Veterans and was presented to the town by Moses Sargent in 1919. The site was earlier occupied by a platform used as a band stand. Past Site | Present Site

18. The Site of the Joseph Fellows House was first occupied here in the 1790’s. Joseph Fellows was considered to be the founder of Belmont Village and is said to have constructed a simple dwelling on the site. In 1859 the present structure was constructed by Ira Mooney for the use as the village hotel. Directly to the right was located the second village store & post office. The upper floor contained a hall at which the first Belmont (Upper Gilmanton) town meeting was held. this structure burned in the 1890’s. Past Site | Present Site

pc0048fellowsdam19. Fellows Dam was the first dam constructed on this site in the 1790’s & used for the village grist mill which was owned and operated by Joseph Fellows. In 1825, William Badger acquired the site and continued to operate the grist mill for the village & surrounding areas. During the 1830’s when the village sawmill (20) was removed to make way for the dam of the cotton mill, a sawmill was constructed on the west bank of the river opposite the grist mill. Past Site | Present Site 

20. Baptist Church. Organized in 1810, and first known as “The Third Monthly Meeting”. A meeting house was erected in 1811, possibly of brick, but was removed in 1852 when the structure above was built. In 1860, the parsonage was constructed and by 1889 the church had been raised to accommodate a vestry and the installation of new memorial windows. The postcard above shows the Baptist Church stables to the left of the building. By 1907 the Baptist Church added the organ loft, and in 1917 a pipe organ installed as a gift from Moses Sargent. John M. Sargent, the son of the donor organ donated the chimes in 1946. The first minister was Elder Peter Clark 1810 to 1841. Since the church has had approximately 25 pastors, the longest being a tenure of 42 years. This being Reverend Frederick W. Fitzpatrick. This building burned in December 19, 1975, and was rebuilt in 1976. Past Site | Present Site

21. Joseph Fellows & 21a.Thomas Fellows Houses: The first house over the bridge was probably constructed by Joseph Fellows Sr. as it is listed in the inventory of his estate. It passed on to his son Joseph Jr. who occupied the site until it was sold to Gilmanton Village Manufacturing Co. prior to the construction of the cotton mill in 1833. The second two story house was constructed by Thomas Fellows around 1824 & sold to Samuel Cate in 1832 who operated the village tavern here in the 1830’s. Following Cate’s death it was operated by his widow & later her second husband John S. Hill. Joseph Fellows Past Site | Present Site Thomas Fellows Past Site | Present Site

22. Village Blacksmith Shop: In 1819 Joseph Fellows Jr. deeded this site to William Moody who built a blacksmith shop equipped with a trip hammer which was used to flatten iron. Past Site | Present Site

23. Historic Mill Pond Site: Joseph Fellows built his sawmill here in the 1790’s & later Gilmanton Village Manufacturing Co. built the mill pond so the water could be directed through a canal across Main St. During the 1890’s the dam was removed & a penstock was constructed from the Fellows Dam to the mill. The remains of the steel penstock which replaced the original wooden one are still visible. Past Site | Present Site

Information submitted by the Belmont Historical Society. http://www.belmontnh.homestead.com/BelmontHistoricalSociety.html

Great hotels, Resorts, Cabins, bed and breakfast and camping listings in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire home of Lake Winnipesaukee

STAY

There are so many fabulous places to stay in the Lakes Region!

Fun Lakes Region attractions on and around Lake Winnipesaukee. Amusement parks, spas, boat rentals, museums, music, hiking and more!

PLAY

When you travel to the Lakes Region, there’s always plenty to keep you entertained!

Delicious Lakes Region restaurants, cafes, bistros and diners are ready to serve your family breakfast, lunch and dinner on your vacation to Lake Winnipesaukee.

DINE

You’re sure to find appetizing choices on your getaway.

Tax free shopping in the Lake Winnipesaukee area!

SHOP

With TAX-FREE SHOPPING you're sure to find the perfect deal!

 

Lake Winnipesaukee Real estate listing services. Make buying your vacation home in the lakes region easy!

LIVE

Looking to relocate your family to the beautiful NH Lakes Region?

Sign up for updates, deals and FREE information about family vacations in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire