Tilton Island Park
Tilton, NH 03276 United States
The Tilton Island Park Bridge is a foot bridge in Tilton, New Hampshire. It spans a portion of the Winnipesaukee River just east of downtown Tilton, providing access to Tilton Island Park, located on an island in the river. The bridge was manufactured by A. D. Briggs & Company and installed in 1881 by J. R. Smith. It consists of two Truesdell truss spans, which rest on granite abutments and a central granite pier. The bridge is 85 feet (26 m) in length, and 10 feet (3.0 m) wide. Its trusses are made of iron, using a patented design similar to that of wooden lattice bridges. The principal innovation in Lucius Truesdell’s patent was the clamps which fix the lattice members together where they cross, providing additional rigidity, and a series of horizontal and vertical members which are integrated into the diagonal lattice members. The bridge was a gift to the town by Charles Tilton.
The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980
- There were no results found.